Tiruvanmiyur is situated about three miles south of Mylapore (Madras) on the
sea - coast. The origin of the temple dedicated to, Palvanna Nathar and Maruteswar dates
as far back as the period of the Chola rule between 1017 and 1061 B.C. It is evidenced
from inscriptions that this temple was originally constructed with bricks and was later
renovated with granite stones in the days of Gangaikonda Chola.
The distinctive sacredness about this place is attributed to
the Vinayagar. This place is a self-chosen shrine of Lord Siva. The names of the Goddesses
are Chokkanayaki and Tripurasundari. Tyagamurti is the processional deity and during
Tiruvatirai (Ardra) the dance festival
of Tyagamurti is very famous and attracts thousands of devotees.