A pilgrimage to the Sagar Island near Diamond Harbor has a hoary
past. Sagar Island is situated about 77 miles away from Calcutta and 40 miles from Diamond
Harbour. It is at the mouth of the Hooghly River where the holy Ganga discharges its water
into the sea. The Hooghly bound it on the west and by the Baratala or Channel Creek
on the east, while the Bay of Bengal washes it southern face.
The northern extremity of the island, which is about 25
miles long, is called Mud point. On the south-western angle of the island there is a
Lighthouse built in 1808. The southern sea face is the site of the great festival of
Ganga Sagar marked by unbounded enthusiasm for a bath in the Sangam (the confluence of the
river and the sea) and for other ceremonials.
Author - P.C.Roy Choudhury