Both the south and north wall of the mandapa are adorned with a graceful balcony
window. The four corners are strengthened by means of massive buttress-like projections in
the shape of half-engaged - miniature sikhara temples, each containing two niches in which
image slabs are placed. Smaller niches in slightly projecting chapels are found between
the corner projections and the entrance and balcony windows.
Cunningham and Fergusson that the Baijnath
temple had undergone a thorough restoration at the bands of Raja Sansar Chand Katoch (A.D.
1776-1824) assumed it. But Sir Aurel Stein, who had the advantage of personally inspecting
the temple in December, 1892, expressed the opinion that the building "has not under
gone such very great alterations as the earlier describers state.
" He points out, that the doorway of
the adytum. is still decorated with the images of the river goddesses mentioned in the
inscription. Only the roof seems to be modern; and according to the - statements of the
local priests - it was renovated in the days of Raja Sansar Chand II.
The temple of Baijnath, although situated
at no great distance from the centre of the earthquake of the 4th April, 1905, suffered
but slight injury from that catastrophe. The neighboring smaller temple of Sidhnath, on
the contrary, completely collapsed.