temple, constructed by Rajah Jagat Parkash (1830-1849 Bk. = 1773-1792 A.D.) enjoys a
revenue assignment of five rupees from the Government. Puja is held daily by a brahmin
priest.Towards the west of Rainka lake, adjacent
to the shores of Paras, Ram Tal, is a small temple in the usual dome-style dedicated to
Rainka, the mother of the legendary hero Paras Ram. The temple is also called
"Math" (monastery) in which is housed an idol of Rainka Devi. It is said that
the shrine was constructed with great reverence by the Gurkhas in the beginning of 1814
A.D., when they invaded Sirmur and annexed certain parts of it.
Subsequently, the Gurkhas were driven out.
The "Math" is now, like many other temples, under the care and management of the
local panchayat.Rajputs are a martial race. The ruling house of Nahan would naturally
patronize Kali temple. Towards the northeast of the Rajah's palace in the Nahan town is a
temple dedicated to goddess Kali. Rajah Bijai Parkash constructed it during his reign,
Samvat, 1770-1806 corresponding to 1713-1749 A.D. Kali is worshipped by the Rajputs as the
goddess of war. The Rani from Kamaon, wife of Rajah Bijai Parkash, brought this image of
Kali to Sirmur from Kamaon.
Adjacent to this temple is a shrine of
"Chaubis-Bhuji-Devi" (twenty-four armed goddess), constructed by Rajah Fateh
Parkash. For the performance of puja, "Mahants" have been appointed. The first
"Mahant" was Bharang Nath followed successively by Am Nath, Top Nath, Jawala
Nath, Bir Nath, Devi Nath and Jagan Nath. After the death of Jagan Nath his disciple Namah
Nath has been officiating but he was not appointed a full-fledged Mahant because of his
intemperate habits and arrogant disposition.