conclusion, supported later on by further excavations, proved beyond any shadow of doubt
that the ruins as they stood in 1950 were not of the temple built by Bhoja and Bhima after
Mahmud's raid, but of the structure later built by Bhava Brihaspati during the days of
Kumarapala in A.D. 1169.
The theory that the temple
destroyed by Mahmud was on another site, is totally disproved. So also it was clear from
the plinth, the flooring, the fallen wall and the base of the pillars that the structure
was not of wood, but of stone. There may be a row of wooden pillars outside the