Tiruvanmiyur is situated about three miles south of Mylapore (Madras) on the sea - coast. The origin of the temple dedicated to, Palvanna Nathar and Maruteswar dates as far back as the period of the Chola rule between 1017 and 1061 B.C. It is evidenced from inscriptions that this temple was originally constructed with bricks and was later renovated with granite stones in the days of Gangaikonda Chola.
The distinctive sacredness about this place is attributed to the Vinayagar. This place is a self-chosen shrine of Lord Siva. The names of the Goddesses are Chokkanayaki and Tripurasundari. Tyagamurti is the processional deity and during Tiruvatirai (Ardra) the dance festival of Tyagamurti is very famous and attracts thousands of devotees.
Author : Shri R. K. Das