The most valuable and at the same time the most delicate portion of the edifice,
viz., the open pavilion supported on four ornamental pillars which sheltered Siva's bull
Nandi, collapsed in the earthquake. To the east of this pavilion is the shrine containing
the lingam, which forms the object of worship. It measures only 9 feet 2 inches square
outside. The floor is 2 feet below the level of the paved street, which shows the amount
of accumulation that has taken place since the temple was built. To the south of the
pavilion is another chamber, which seems to have been the original shrine.
On both sides of its entrance are two Jain
images described by Sir Alexander Cunningham. One of these images represents the
Tirthankar Adinatha, as is indicated by the effigy of a bull on the pedestal. It bears,
moreover, a Sarada inscription, dated in the year 50 of the Lokakala or Saptarshi era. Dr.
Buhler, who edited the inscription, believed it to be nearly contemporaneous with the
Baijnath eulogizes on account of the similarity of the character."
Within the fort of Nurpur, once the seat of the
Pathania Rajas is a ruined temple excavated in 1886 by the Archaeological Survey. Only the
basement of this temple is in existence, a building with remarkable wall paintings. There
has been some research on the wall paintings, which has been mentioned elsewhere. The
reference in the old District Gazetteer of 1924-1925 will be of some interest now that we
know more of the wall paintings.