temple, of which only the basement is extant, is a building of considerable size belonging
to the mixed Hindu-Mughul style of architecture which came into vogue under the tolerant
rule of Akbar. It is 117 feet long and 50 feet wide externally. It is built of red
sandstone and consists of an anteroom or mandapa leading through a central chamber to the
sanctuary which is octagonal in plan with recesses at the angles.
Its general plan is very similar to those of
the temples of Govind Deo at Vrindaban and of Hari Deo at Govardhan nearMathura (Muttra).
A characteristic feature of the temple is the profuse decoration of the outer walls,
exhibiting effigies of cows, milkmaids and a figure which most probably represents Krishna
judging from the character of these figures, we may assume that the temple was dedicated
In all probability it was built by Raja Basu
(the founder of the fort, who died in A.D. 1613) and destroyed when the rebellion of his
son and successor, Suraj, Mall, was suppressed by the army of Jahangir in A.D. 1618.