The temple located on a small spur on the Dharamsala - Simla road at
a distance of about 20 Kms. from the Jwala Mukhi Road Railway Station attracts lacs of
pilgrims every year. No idol is located in the temple but only the flames, which come out
from the crevices of the rock, are worshipped. They are natural jus of combustible gas.
There is a small platform in front Of the
temple and there is a big mandap where a huge bell of brass is hung presented by the King
of Nepal. Usually milk and water are offered and the ahutis (oblations) are offered to the
sacred flames in the pit situated in the centre of the temple in between the floor pillars
supporting the roof.
The deity is- offered Bhog of Rabri
(thickened milk), Misri (candy), seasonal fruits, milk and arti is done. There is a mystic
Yantar (diagram) of the goddess, which is covered with, shawls, ornaments etc. and mantras
are recited. The puja has different 'phases' and goes on practically the whole day. Arti
is done five times in the day.
Havan is performed once daily and portions
of Durga Saptasati is recited. Maharaja Ranjit Singh paid a visit to the temple in 1815
and the dome of the temple was gold-plated by him. Just a few feet above the Jwalamukhi
temple there is a six-feet deep pit with a circumference of about three feet. At the
bottom of this pit there is another small pit about one and a half feet deep with hot
water bubbling all the time. There is a story about these pits devoutly repeated to the