Cintra Prashasti of Sarangadeva (A.D. 1292) refers to the building of five temples to the
north of the mandapa of Someshvara and also a torana supported by two pillars by Ganda
The temple which by this time had
become quite big, however, could not escape desecration much longer. In A.D. 1297 Alaf
Khan, a general of the Khilji rulers of Delhi, marched upon Kathiawar and the ancient fame
of the temple was again cast down. After the invader had turned his back, another
reconstruction of the temple was undertaken by the Chudasama ruler, Mahipaladeva (A.D.
1308-1325), and was completed by his son, Ra Khangar (A.D. 1325-51). The latter is also
credited with setting up Iinga in the temple.11
10 Ibid., pp. 271-287. The inscription previously
having been removed from Somanatha is now located in the Quinta of Don John De Castro at
Cintra in Portugal. 11 Henry Cousens, Somnath and
other Mediaeval Temples in Kathiawad, Archaeological Survey of India, Volume XLV, Imperial
Series, (Calcutta, 1931), p. 25.