And Growth Of Lingaraj Temple
The Lingaraj temple - a magnificent piece, of architectural marvel
is the gift of one single dynasty called Kesari, that ruled in the
seventh century. It took the present shape after a long period of
five centuries from the date of foundation to the installation of
the deity. This imposing sculptural beauty dominates the area for
miles around by its curvilinear tower measuring 147 feet in height.
It was started by Yayati Kesari and completed by his grand son
Lalithendu Kesari. Later Kamal Kesari added Bhoga Mandapa in the
beginning of the tenth century. A little earlier, Parvathi Mandir
was built by Vijaya Kesari. The final and the last addition of Nat
mandir was made by the queen of Salani Kesari in 1104. To be sure,
there is no other place, where one can see such continuity of
buildings constructed chronologically as found here. Archaeologists
did ample service to theism by bringing out its glory elaborately
and effectively too.