AND GROWTH OF LINGARAJ
Lingaraj temple - a magnificent piece of architectural ;marvel is the gift of
one single dynasty called, Kesari that ruled in the seventh century. It took the
present shape after a long period of five centuries, from the date of foundation
to the time of installation of the deity. This imposing sculptural beauty
dominates for miles around by its curvilinear tower measuring 147 feet in
height. It was started by Yayati Kesari and completed by his grand son
Lalithendu kesari. Later Kamal Kesari added Bhoga Mandapa in the beginning of
the tenth century. A little earlier, Parvathi Mandir was built by Vijaya kesari.
The final and the last addition of Naat Mandir was made by the queen of Salani
Kesari in 1104. To be sure, there is no other place, where one can see such a
continuity of buildings constructed so chronologically as here.
famous Lingraj temple built in the North Indian Nagara style serves as a
pinnacle of Orissan architecture. It occupies about 5 acres and is surrounded by
a 520 x 465 feet thick high wall, pierced by three massive gates on three sides
on the South, North, and East.