It is beyond human ingenuity to fix
the date of this much hallowed temple. The Konnyadi tree at the foot of which the three
lingas sprouted at the disappearance of Trimurthis after blessing couple supplies a semblance of clue.
The experts who tested its parts pushed its existence to some thousands of years back.
So the temple was existing when history did not make
its appearance. Available evidence in the form of inscriptions sprits from 10th century A.D. Many rulers
of the South belonging to the illustrious dynasties of Pandyas, Cholas, Cheras and Nayaks
endowed the temple lavishly, besides constructing and renovating it from time to time.
After 1811 A.D. it was managed by the State, and from 1950 onwards it is controlled by the Devasvom
Board of Kerala invested with powers for proper maintenance under the supervision of the
Commissioner for Religious Endowments, and later by Tamil Nadu Government.