Sukresvara temple is located in the town of Gauhati on the bank of the river Brahmaputra. The Kalika Purana calls the hillock, on which the temple is built Hasti and describes it to be the asrama (hermitage) of the sage Sukra. According to the Kalika Purana, Sukresvara Linga was set up here.
The temple to Sukresvara was built by King Pramatta Singh of the Ahom dynasty in 1744 A.D. ‘In this temple is worshipped one of the largest Lingas (phallicemblems) of Siva to be found in India. The temple is still intact though the roof of the Nat mandir attached to it has been replaced with corrugated iron-sheets.
Author - H.V.Sreenivasa Murthy And B.K. Barua