other four places where the four pieces of the Linga from the throat of Tarakasura fell,
are Bhimarama or Bhima- varam in Kakinada, Ksheerarama or Palakollu in West Godavari,
Draksharama in East Godavari, and Kumararama which is Kotipalli in East Godavari District.
The Lord Amareswara here is worshipped with his consort Bala Chamundika who is
considered as the fourth of the 18 godd- esses. There are also manyimportant minor deities
inside the temple.
The present temple of Amaravati owes much to Raja Sri Vasireddi Venkatadri Nayudu who
was a great leader of the 18th century.
The popular legend has it that once during the course of putting down a rebellion in
his land he bad to have recourse to a massacre of the Chenchus, whereupon he lost his
mental peace, which he regained only when he came to Amaravati.
Raja Vasireddi Venkatadri Nayudu built Jaggayyapet in memory of his father, Acchampet
in memory of his mother, and Rajapet in his own name.
He shifted his place from Chintapalli to Amaravati in 1796,
and devoted his entire life, time and revenues to building temples to Lord Siva.
He renovated the Amareswaraswamy temple here, got nine
learned archana to be brought for the daily archana of the Lord, and provided them with
all the needs of livelihood, including the ground of 12 acres of land to each. The temple
as it stands owes much to him.