|The Kalika Purana
Etatte kathitam punyam. manikutahvayam
Varanasito hyadhikam siddhavidyadhara sritam
The original temple of Hayagriva-Madhava was destroyed by the
Kalapahar, who also destroyed the temple of Kamakhya. The present temple, according to an
inscription in the temple itself, was rebuilt by King Raghudeva Narayana, son of
Sukladhwaj, in Saka 1505 (1583 A.D.). When it was completed, it was consecrated by the
sacrifice of numerous human victims. The king also endowed the temple with grants of land.
The translation of the inscription reads: -
"There was a ruler on earth named Bisva Singh his
illustrious son, the most wise king Malla Deb, was the conqueror of all enemies. In
gravity and liberality and for heroism he had a great reputation, and he was purified by
religious deeds. After him was born his brother Sukladhwaj, who subdued many countries.