[an error occurred while processing this directive]
HinduNet
  
Forums Chat Annouce Calender DigiCards Recommend Remote Invites
[an error occurred while processing this directive]


Temples & Legends Of Maharastra
Index Of Maharastra Preface
Kulapati's Preface The Author
Morgaon - Moreshvar

Kolhapur - Mahalakshmi

Tuljapur - Bhavani Ganagapur - Dattatreya
Pedhe - Parashurama Bhimashankar - Bhimashankar
Tryambakeshvar - Trymbak Khandoba - Jejuri
Pandhapur - Vitthal Glossary
Biblography  
Major Sections
Temples & Legends Of India
Andhrapradesh
Maharastra
Kerala
Himachal Pradesh
Tamilnadu

Bengal

Assam
Bihar
Somanatha

KHANDOBA - JEJURI

The temple faces the east. The outermost portion is an arched portico. This is a later addition to the original structure whichmust have consisted of only two parts, a square mandap and a garbhagriha. In this portico are hung some bells and along the walls rests a big ‘khanda’ -a sword. with a blade four feet long and f our inches broad. This is an ayudha or attribute of the god. The mandap is styled after the Yadav order of temple architecture. In this mandap are seen two horses of stone, one with the image of Khandoba astride it, the other without.In the garbhagriha there is asquare 'devaghar’, a small shrine within a shrine, a niche like place. In this niche is a square yoni in which are two swayambhu lings, one that of Khandoba and the other re- presenting Mhalsa, his consort. These arc covered with silver masks, This is the chief object of veneration and worship at the place. In addition to this however, there are a number of pairs of Khandoba-Mhalsa images in the garbhagriha. Two are in silver and the third one in bras. As far as their iconographical aspect goes all the three are quite similar. The image of Khandoba has a sword, trishula, damaru and a bowl. The Mhalsa images hold lotus flower or lotus buds in their hands. The pair standing in the centre was a gift from the Satara Chhatrapatis made in 1932. An inscription on the back side of the third pair of statues states that it was donated by Sharfoji Bhosale of Tanjore around 1725. There were some other pairs, one in gold and other in silver which were, along with some precious jewellery looted some twenty years back. In the wall behind these images is a seated image of Khandoba in stone. This also holds a sword, trishula, damaru and bowl in its hands. On either side are carved figures of female attendants known as Jogeshvaris. On the pedestal of this image the figure of a horse is carved, that being the vahan of the deity.

Back ] Up ] Next ]

Khandoba Temple, Jejuri : General View
About Khandoba
Introduction
Page1
Page2
Page3
Page4
You are Here! Page5
Page6
Page7
Page8
Page9

Page10

Page11
Page12
Page13
Page14
Page15
Page16
Page17
Page18
Page19
Page20
Page21
Page22
Page23
Page24
Page25
Page26
Page27
Page28
Page29
Page30
Page31
Page32
Page33

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
More Information about HinduNet Inc.
Privacy Statement
The Hindu Universe is a HinduNet Inc., website.
Copyrighted 1994-2003, HinduNet Inc.