this superb Durga mandir came into existence in 1912, it has a long tale that
began in 1770 A.D. with Chetsingh, the Maharaj of Banaras. Soon after his
coronation, this king embarked upon the grandiose project of building a grand
temple with a tank in front and a fort behind. Given to ostentation and
pretentiousness, he wanted everything superb and splendiferous; and so shirked
not spending lavishly. In a very short period the tank and fort reached
completion, but not the temple; for, its huge dimensions and awe-some adornments
could not be done as planned in time.
he was forced to take up war against the unjust British expansionists. He had to
leave his place and was constrained to be with the rulers of Gwalior. There was
an abrupt stopping
of the construction. In the mean while, he expired. It was only 1855 when the
then ruling prince Narasingh Bahadur met a swamiji of repute and narrated his
own problems including that of the incomplete temple construction. Pitying he
gave him an idol of Durga and advised him to resume the construction work and
install Durga Panchayatan. The pious king did as bid.