With Kooperunjuga of Pallava
origin on the throne history begins Many inscriptions on the walls
of prakarams furnish dates of endowments. Chola kings, Hoyasala
rulers, Vijayanagar Rayas, Tanjore Nayakas etc. heightened the
religious glory of this temple by their liberal patronage, as
evidenced by the architectural beauty and sculptural marvels they
added to the temple. The tall eleven-storeyed Eastern tower -
Rajagopuram measuring 217 feet in height is the contribution of
Vijayanagara Kings started by Krishnadevaraya in 1512, and completed
by Sevappa Nayak.
In addition, Krishnadevaraya built the thousand
pillared mandapam - an all-time wonder in the realm of sculpture.
The Sivaganga tank, opposite the mandapam owes its origin to him.
The other four high towers were built at different periods by
celebrated theists belonging to generous groups of maharanis,
amatyas, sevakas, vellalas and vanija pramukhas. The plethora of
information inscribed on walls started in the eighth century and
this brings the reader !o the present times, functioning now under
the control of the Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments
Department of the Tamil Nadu Government.