Raja family of Chota- nagpur had changed their seats from time to time to various
villages, namely, Chutia, Khukrah, Doisa, Palkot, Bharno etc. Their seat is now at Ratu
about 6 miles from Ranchi.
As mentioned before, Hinduism has spread even in some of the
comparatively inaccessible villages of Ranchi district. At Tilmi, a small village, there
is a ruined fortress, once the seat of the Thakurs, a subordinate branch of the Nagavanshi
family. At the mouth of a stone well, a Sanskrit inscription has been found which mentions
the dedication of the well in 1794 Samvat or 1737 A.D. byone of the Thakurs named Akbar
"for the attainment of the four Vargas or be atitudes".
The muslim name of Akbar for a Hindu is not
intriguing as the Mundas had a practice of adopting foreign names. This will also show
that Akbar was a Munda who had become a Hindu. Two other inscriptions, dated respectively
Samvat 1722 (A.D. 1665) and Samvat 1739 (A.D. 1682) and written in hand were found at
village Borio about 5 miles north-east of Ranchi. They mention about the construction of a
stone temple to mark the founder's devotion to the deity of Madana Mohana. Translations
and transcriptions were given in a paper by Shri Rakhal Das Haldar, a member of the
Provincial Civil Service, in the Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal in 1871.