pursuance of this policy, known as the Subsidiary Alliance, the British approached the
Maharaja of Singhbhum in 1820 for a treaty. This was done despite the fact that the
influence of the Porahat Raj had waned very considerably and the kingdom had shrunk from
14,000 villages to a bare 500.
Lord Wellesley had realized that the Ruler of
Seraikella counted for much more than the Ruler of Singhbhum and he had asked Seraikella
not to allow any passage of Raghuji Bhonsle's troops through his territory and the British
had also received active assistance from the Raja of Seraikella during the third Mahratta
War. But there was now a shift and a new-found desire to patronize Singhbhum or the
Maharaja of Porahat.
The Ruler of Porahat promptly responded to
the overtures of the British and one of the terms was that the image of Paudi Devi, which
was in the possession of the Raja of Seraikella, should be restored. On the 8th of March,
1923, Col. Gilbert, with the Ramgarh Battalion and accompanied by Raja Ghanashyam Singh of
Porahat, marched oil and surrounded the palace of Seraikella to bring back the image of
Sri Paudi Devi.