[an error occurred while processing this directive]
SRIKANTESWARA OF NANJUNGUD
this sacred shrine has been existing since that momentous occasion
of Lord Maheswar's swallowing the deadly poison, inscriptional proof
begins with the 15th century A.D. Moreover, there are 63 images of
Saiva saints supposed to have been installed in the 11th century AD.
History is silent over the valuable presents bearing vestiges of
antiquity. It is believed that Diwan Purnayya and Karchur Nandiraja
made their invaluable contributions to bringing the old building to
the present shape. Many princes of Mysore made Nanjungud their
favourite abode and adored the Lord with great ardour. In 1845,
Mummadi Krishna Raja Wodeyar built the gopura and made many
endowments. Royal princesses too built many mandapas and minishrines.
There are several statues of the 'royal family of Wodeyar with
inscriptions too. As Lord Nanjundeswara is the Kuladaivam of the
royal family, they endowed it with several ways during the periods
of many kings.