Burdwan Raj got possession of most of the parganas of the Bansbaria zamindari as the main
line was left issue less. A posthumousson, Nrisingha Dev was, however, given
possession of a few parganas in 1799 A.D. due to the representations to Warren Hastings.
Nrishingha Dev built a small temple dedicated to the goddess Kali or Swayam- bhava, made a
map of Bengal for Warren Hastings and translated some Sanskrit scriptures into
He became a tantrik and began to
build a temple in honor of Hanseswari but died in 1802 before it was finished. His widow
Rani Sankari completed the temple of Hanseswari and Chaturdaseswar which cost nearly
rupees five lakhs and spent nearly a lakh of rupees in the ceremony of Tula-purusha
(weighing one's person). She was a very charitable lady but she led a very simple life.A
description of these three temples of Vishnu, Swayambhava or Kali and Hanseswari is
"The Vishnu temple is the oldest, being built in
1679-80 A.D. It is of brick, in the Bengali style, with a tower on the roof. Its front,
facing east, is covered with brick panels, elaborately carved. North of it is a small
unpretentious flat-roofed temple, built in 1788-89 and dedicated to Swayambhava.