|There are two
more modern temples at Chandrakona where worship is now regularly held. They are the
Lalaji temple and the Malleswar temple both belonging to Burdwan Raj.
"The Lalaji temple, which stands on a high plinth, is of the Bengali style
ofarchitecture. In its verandah is preserved a stone slab (lying loose) with an
inscription in Bengali characters, dated 1577 Saka (1655 A.D.), recording the erection of
a Navaratna temple of Krishna by Rani Lakshmanavati, wife of Raja Hari Narayan.
In front of the Lalaji temple is a natmandir or dancing hall, to the
west of which stands an Orissan tower with a porch in front dedicated to Raghunathji. The
outer yard is separated from the inner by a wall, and contains a small Pancharatna temple
of Kameswar Siva with an inscription dated 1577 Saka; to its southwest lies a circular
pavement for the rasamancha.
The whole is enclosed by a high wall, with a large gateway
to the ascribing the erection of the thakurbari to the Burdwan Raj in 1238 B.S. (1831
A.D.). In front of the gateway are two cars, which are drawn on the Dasara day, the
smaller being that of Lalaji and the larger that of Raghunathji. The cost of the
establishment and of the festivals is met from the income of a debottar estate set apart
for the purpose by the Burdwan Raj.