The impact of regionalism in temple structure is clearly seen at
Garbeta, an extensive village in Midnapore district about 32 miles north of Midnapore.
Garbeta formed in olden days the capital of the Bagri Rajas. The village has the remains
of an old fort, which, though in ruins shows that the Raja of Bagri must have been a
At the entrance there are still ruins of massive gateways,
which bear their old names viz.,Lal Darwaja, Hanuman Darwaja, Pesha Darwaja and Rauti
Darwaja. Within the fort there are large silted up tanks each with a temple in the center.
They all lie towards the north of the fort and it is believed that they were
excavatedbetween 1555-1610 A.D. in the time of theChauhan Rajas of Bagri.
There are a number of temples in Garbeta but particular mention ha to be made of the
temple of Sarva Mangala. It is peculiar in having its door facing the north. According to
the tradition during the days of Maharaja Vikramaditya of Ujjain a Yogi was wandering
about in the thick of forests and was attracted to this particular place. He immediately
brought about a temple of Sarva Mangala Devi through his mantras.
Maharaja Vikramaditya came to know of the dynamic force of
the deity Sarva Mangala Devi of Garbeta and came over to Garbeta and did tantric sadhana
sitting on a dead body. The Devi was pleased with the sadhana of the Maharaja, blessed him
with supernatural powers and gave him the services of Tal and Betal. The Maharaja wanted
to test the spiritual power conferred on him by the Devi and asked Tal and Betal to turn
the temple and make it face the north. Tal and Betal did so and it is said that the name
Garbeta derives its name from Tal and Betal.